RE: College courses vs reality

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jeff Young (jyoung)
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 16:30:57 CST6CDT

Respond to this message.

>On Wed. 6 Nov 1996,
>Vance McSwain wrote:

> Bunki wrote:
> I wonder just how many "professors" get out
> of their college world and visit on a fairly regular basis normal classroom
> teaching in K12 and see what's REALLY happening out here!

I think Bunki has a point because I thought the same thing when I was
going through my undergraduate program. The professor had invited a
junior high art teacher to talk to us about the "real world," but
then the professor discounted things she said because she didn't
teach a certain way. I remember she replied that he should come and
teach using his method in her classroom with her students. I don't
think he ever did.

I don't think all professors are this way though. I just started
teaching at the University level this year after 13 years of
public school art classroom experience. I hope I don't become out of
touch with the reality of the classroom experience. I think at
present it's my strongest suit.

Jeff Young
University of Central Arkansas

Respond to this message.