Life's too short for "angry"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Bunki Kramer (bkramer.ca.us)
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 10:12:31 -0800

Respond to this message.

Hi, Vance...
I know what you are talking about and I see it in one or two of my own
school's faculty members...anger and frustration...but it doesn't have to
do with the large numbers of kids or little materials! It has to do with
their attitudes and how they handle "life". They'd never be happy anywhere!
They are happy being unhappy! It happens in any area of subject matter.

I still stand by my conviction that a so-so program is better than no program.
Someone in these classes will learn some art and at least you've touched a few.
Granted, you'd like to make it wonderful for everybody. At least if you're
a good teacher and use your ingenuity and creativity, it's possible with a
large class and little materials.

I say this because I remember back in the cave era when I first starting
teaching down in Florida. I was an itenerant elem. art teacher who traveled
from one spectrum of society (Palm Beach) to the opposite end (the
"Glades"...inner Florida which was composed of migrant workers whose
children went to school maybe 3 months a year..working in the sugarcane
fields the other 9...and spoke little to no English). In the latter case, I
was given 2 packages or 12x18 purple paper, 20 scissors and three bottles
of glue plus $10 dollars for supplies to buy for the entire school! With
fingers crossed and lots or perserverance (sp?) plus lots or begging and
borrowing and hunting, I was able to come up with some great lessons and
unique supplies. It was a true learning experience for me in tons of ways
and I learned lots of Spanish from my wonderful kids.

Soooooooo, it's not the large classrooms or little supplies, it's the
teacher that makes the difference in what's "learned" or not...what's
"enjoyed" or not!
It's up to US!!!!!
You wrote:
>Bunki Kramer wrote:
>Even if it were a so-so program, it's better
>than no program at all or, as someone quoted, having a tech person teaching
>
>I enjoyed reading your response. You made some good points, but I do not
>agree with the one above. I have spoken with many people who had a bad
>experience in an art class.The experience turned them off to art or at the
>least kept them from having a good attitute toward art.
>
>I think no art course would be better than a bad experience in an
>overcrowded classroom without the materials needed, a frustrated, angy
>teacher, and students who because of numbers, etc. can't be encouraged or
>are not encouraged.
>
>I would rather the people I have spoken about above would have hung on to
>their interest in art and possibly taken a continuing education course at
>some point or simple visited an art museum to further their knowledge and
>feed their interest.>
>Just a thought,
>Vance McSwain

Bunki Kramer