Re: rainforest

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Leslie Miller (zandee)
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 22:46:13 -0500 (EST)

Respond to this message.

Tonight on NPR 's Living On Earth, there was a long piece about the
"Darian(sp?)."
This is the 110 kilometer long area between Panama and Colombia which is
still Original Rainforest and the only 110 kilometers which keeps the Pan
American Highway from being finished. The fight has begun, again to finish
the highway. Our own congress has asked for a study. The report said that
there are over 800 species of trees in this small area, the size of West
Virginia. It said that our Northern forests have 5 or 6 species, in
comparison. Three indigenous groups of peoples are very worried. Where ever
the higway has been built, logging has stripped the surrounding area.

This may be a help. You may want to contact "Living on Earth.
Leslie
t 09:35 PM 11/10/96 GMT, Rosa Juliusdottir wrote:
>How about a rainforest idea that focuses on all the plants there that are
>endangered and also the unfound ones which could prove to be medically very
>important and probably helpful in the battle against such disease as
>cancer, if they were to be found before the rainforest is destroyed. This
>also reminds me of a paper my daugther once wrote about the tree( I cannot
>remember the name) that only grows there and is the only tree that can be
>used to make bows (for violins and other string instruments). At that time
>my daughter was 10(she is now a cello student at NEC) she worried what
>would happened to music if these trees were all destroyed. Anyway I always
>feel good when I can put some social issues in my art lessons so therefor
>this idea. Regards Rosa

Respond to this message.