Re: 1 & 2 point perspective

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stenger - Judith DiSalvo (jstenger)
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 18:56:18 -0500 (EST)

Respond to this message.

Hi Bunki et al,
I've used all the methods discussed here, too. Some kids can "see"
the angles right away--others really need the formula and grid. For kids
who just don't get it, I have them look through the window and trace the
objects on the other side--with fingers, but if necessary, with marker on
transparent
film. I agree that most sixth graders aren't developmentally ready for
formula technique. Some can see it by making the letters of their names
in 1 point perspective. I've even had them cut out paper letters, trace
them to form a complete second set, and arrange the "shadow letters
according to the vanishing point." Sometimes, I can't drag it out of a
kid--and that's ok, too. Some adults tell me they just can't see
that way, and they don't seem to have suffered much.
It is one of those things that gives me a real rush when a student
flashes on and beams--"wow! that's cool. I get it."
Judy
On Sat, 9 Nov 1996,
Bunki Kramer wrote:

> Hi Mark and Thom...
> Thom wrote:
> I've never seen any of the one- or two-point perspective drawing
> >>exercises that looked anything like real. Kids don't learn to see by
> >>formulae.Thanks for listening.
> >>thom
>
> Mark wrote...
> >And as for the kids learning by formula, your comments echo mine as I
> >expressed during the Monart drawing debate a few weeks ago. I guess I
> >needed a reminder.
>
> Here I go again....disagreeing but for certain reasons! When I was in 5th
> grade, our traveling art teacher came into the room and gave us rulers,
> other tools, to draw 1-pt. perspective and a big demonstration on the
> board. Only two of us "got it" and the other fellow wasn't known for his
> artistic ability. No one else seemed to understand. Because of that
> experience, I don't teach TRUE 1-pt. perspective until the 7th-8th grades
> using rulers. Drawing with true perspective in these grades is much easier!
> Yes, they do understand and yes they can draw in real perspective at this
> age. Collecting 1-pt. room pictures from house, home, architectural
> magazines and "finding the perspective lines in them" is one source. (BTW,
> these are great examples of a photographer's vanishing pt. by "how" the
> pictures are taken. Most often they will be at creative angles like sitting
> on the floor or looking up above.) Showing the simple basics by drawing
> boxes is another. Doing a directed-drawing on the overhead, doing their
> names or words is another, etc. Once they get the basics, they are given
> the task to create a room or area in 1-pt. and "think of the unusual". I've
> had rooms, stores, stables, bird's eye views of bridges, train tunnels,
> locker hallways, indoor swimming meets, haunted rooms, alleyways, tons of
> really neat stuff (their creativity stuns me)! And their "right on" drawing
> is outstanding! There are always a few (2-3) who have trouble at first
> "getting it" (like any project) and it always surprises me who the kids are
> and artistic "talent" isn't necessarily the key. Because of this I'm
> convinced it takes alot of left brain work as well as right brain work to
> do perspective! Kids at this age CAN learn and see by the "formula" (as in
> vanishing pt. and parallel and perpendicular lines). They are really
> excited to learn how to draw as an architect or draftsman would. I wouldn't
> attempt this with my 6th graders. I don't think they are ready but then,
> they always surprise me!
>
> Two-pt. and 3-pt. come into play in my ART 2 course of 7th, 8th graders.
> The 3-pt. blows them away and they love it!
>
> >From another viewpoint (in perspective!).
>
> Bunki Kramer
> Los Cerros Middle School
> 968 Blemer Road
> Danville, California 94526
> sch.# 510-552-5620
> bkramer.ca.us

Respond to this message.

  • Reply: Stenger - Judith DiSalvo: "Re: 1 & 2 point perspective"
  • Reply: Stenger - Judith DiSalvo: "Re: 1 & 2 point perspective"