Re: 1 & 2 point perspective

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Bunki Kramer (bkramer.ca.us)
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 11:41:08 -0800

Respond to this message.

Hi Mark and Thom...
Thom wrote:
I've never seen any of the one- or two-point perspective drawing
>>exercises that looked anything like real. Kids don't learn to see by
>>formulae.Thanks for listening.
>>thom

Mark wrote...
>And as for the kids learning by formula, your comments echo mine as I
>expressed during the Monart drawing debate a few weeks ago. I guess I
>needed a reminder.

Here I go again....disagreeing but for certain reasons! When I was in 5th
grade, our traveling art teacher came into the room and gave us rulers,
other tools, to draw 1-pt. perspective and a big demonstration on the
board. Only two of us "got it" and the other fellow wasn't known for his
artistic ability. No one else seemed to understand. Because of that
experience, I don't teach TRUE 1-pt. perspective until the 7th-8th grades
using rulers. Drawing with true perspective in these grades is much easier!
Yes, they do understand and yes they can draw in real perspective at this
age. Collecting 1-pt. room pictures from house, home, architectural
magazines and "finding the perspective lines in them" is one source. (BTW,
these are great examples of a photographer's vanishing pt. by "how" the
pictures are taken. Most often they will be at creative angles like sitting
on the floor or looking up above.) Showing the simple basics by drawing
boxes is another. Doing a directed-drawing on the overhead, doing their
names or words is another, etc. Once they get the basics, they are given
the task to create a room or area in 1-pt. and "think of the unusual". I've
had rooms, stores, stables, bird's eye views of bridges, train tunnels,
locker hallways, indoor swimming meets, haunted rooms, alleyways, tons of
really neat stuff (their creativity stuns me)! And their "right on" drawing
is outstanding! There are always a few (2-3) who have trouble at first
"getting it" (like any project) and it always surprises me who the kids are
and artistic "talent" isn't necessarily the key. Because of this I'm
convinced it takes alot of left brain work as well as right brain work to
do perspective! Kids at this age CAN learn and see by the "formula" (as in
vanishing pt. and parallel and perpendicular lines). They are really
excited to learn how to draw as an architect or draftsman would. I wouldn't
attempt this with my 6th graders. I don't think they are ready but then,
they always surprise me!

Two-pt. and 3-pt. come into play in my ART 2 course of 7th, 8th graders.
The 3-pt. blows them away and they love it!

Bunki Kramer
Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, California 94526