RE: College courses vs reality

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Bunki Kramer (bkramer.ca.us)
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 21:04:00 -0800

Respond to this message.

HI, Vance,

You wrote:
>It's simple. "Too real, no deal." In other words, how many people would
>teach if they knew as a sophomore or junior what they were in for for the
>next 30 years.
...................................end
You probably have a point there! It would have been a scary thought! Just
out of curiousity today, I asked one of my brand new fellow teachers that
question. His response was what you'd expect..."If I had known I would have
had 4 different preps each day and so many kids, I would have seriously
thought twice, three times about all this!"
>No one can provide a quality program for 180 plus kids a day. Day after Day.
>Any administration that expects that is very foolish. Any one who claims
>to be able to do it should be suspect. Unless of course they did it for
>one year and then moved on.
.................................end

I disagree! I think you can have a quality program for 180 kids a day! I
have teachers from other schools and other districts observing my classes
many times so I know the quality is there. Granted, some days are better
than others (as for anyone). Even if it were a so-so program, it's better
than no program at all or, as someone quoted, having a tech person teaching
art with no background! I have alot of kids and I also have a huge room to
handle them. I'm lucky I have plenty of students clammering for my classes
and loving art. I wouldn't be happier anywhere else! Some of the other
electives aren't faring as well. I also am a single parent with three kids
in college and I can't afford to "look around". Maybe if I were really
disenchanted and hated my job, I might be driven to it. It's all in the
attitude!! BTW, I'm too busy to be disenchanted!!!

>Art educators at all levels need to be constantly looking for new jobs
>that present the opportunity for success for both the teacher and the
>student. I know we all have to eat, but, as long as you will do it, you'll
>be given the opportunity to. I have seen some impossible situations. I
>have also know teachers to stay with them and year after year becoming
>more and more disenchanted.
>
>Let's face it, there are a lot of ways to use your degree if you will be a
>bit creative. In fact, that might be a good string to start. What you can
>do with a degree in art education.........
>
>Thats all,
>Vance McSwain
>vmcswain

Bunki Kramer