RE: College courses vs reality

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Stenger - Judith DiSalvo (jstenger)
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 20:23:55 -0500 (EST)

Respond to this message.

Vance, I feel so fortunate that my life took the turn to Art ed. I've
loved it since I started, in 1965-and I still think, "I get to have all this
fun and they pay me, too. " Of course, I get tired, frustrated, worried,
and sometimes, discouraged." But I still think I have the best job
around, and I can't imagine wanting to do anything else .
Teachers who don't love it do need to get away--at least temporarily, and
do something else. When we reach that poing, we can do more harm to
children than we know.
Judy

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996,
Vance McSwain wrote:

> Bunki wrote:
> I wonder just how many "professors" get out
> of their college world and visit on a fairly regular basis normal classroom
> teaching in K12 and see what's REALLY happening out here!
>

> Bunki,
>
> It's simple. "Too real, no deal." In other words, how many people would teach if they knew as a sophomore or junior what they were in for for the next 30 years.
>
> No one can provide a quality program for 180 plus kids a day. Day after Day.
> Any administration that expects that is very foolish. Any one who claims to be able to do it should be suspect. Unless of course they did it for one year and then moved on.
>
> Art educators at all levels need to be constantly looking for new jobs that present the opportunity for success for both the teacher and the student. I know we all have to eat, but, as long as you will do it, you'll be given the opportunity to. I have seen some impossible situations. I have also know teachers to stay with them and year after year becoming more and more disenchanted.
>
> Let's face it, there are a lot of ways to use your degree if you will be a bit creative. In fact, that might be a good string to start. What you can do with a degree in art education.........
>
> Thats all,
> Vance McSwain
> vmcswain

Respond to this message.