Re: College courses vs reality

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Toulouse95
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 19:15:59 -0500

Respond to this message.

In a message dated 96-11-07 00:53:47 EST, rfromme (Robert Alexander
Fromme) writes:

> Art education professors
> are usually people who have had some experience in the art classroom and
> they have continuing contact with the real world of public school art
> education as their class members (those students they supervise) take to
> the "student teaching" classrooms. These professors usually have contacts
> with the learning environments in a variety of schools and school
districts.
> They do not work in the dark Most of those that I have had contact with
are
> actively looking for case studies and typical situations from the "real
> world" which can become the sources of teaching and learning for their
> future teachers.

My art ed. instructors were like those above. 20 years later I can call the
ones still teaching (bless their souls), and they will offer solutions to
problems or put me in touch with someone who can help me. Whenever I have had
a student teacher under their watchful eyes, they have always come to
observations bearing gifts of new lesson plans, catalogs, or something to
help me out. As in every field there are the good, bad and ugly. Some of mine
were good and ugly, but they were all good!

A lucky former student whose students benefit today.

Respond to this message.