(no subject)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Peggy Woolsey (woolspeg)
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 20:49:20 +0800

Respond to this message.

Vance McSwain wrote:

> I have seen some impossible situations. I have also know teachers to stay
>with them and year after year becoming more and more disenchanted.

Dear Vance, you made my day! I made a really tough decision this year not
to take a job (tho I desperately needed one) in a school which had cut the
high school art program (given it actually to the tech teacher who knew
nothing about art). My job was to teach half time in middle school. The
drive to work was 45 minutes each way. They offered me the job the night
before school started. I am still in terrible shape from this unfolding of
events. Some people think you must do anything not to alienate the higher
ups, to keep your foot in the door and to survive on the crumbs in hopes of
things getting better. I felt strongly that it was not right to treat art
and the teaching of art in this bean counting way. So, I'm unemployed and
hoping that the decision I made will work out all right. No one really
cares, but I feel I acted not just for me, but in defense of our
discipline, art education. What you wrote gave me the first bit of
validation I've had. Thanks. PAW

Respond to this message.