RE: College courses vs reality

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Wed, 06 Nov 1996 23:28:37 -0600

Respond to this message.

>Bunki wrote:
>I wonder just how many "professors" get out
>of their college world and visit on a fairly regular basis normal classroom
>teaching in K12 and see what's REALLY happening out here.

Wooooooo! I think we need to calm down here.........Art education professors
are usually people who have had some experience in the art classroom and
they have continuing contact with the real world of public school art
education as their class members (those students they supervise) take to
the "student teaching" classrooms. These professors usually have contacts
with the learning environments in a variety of schools and school districts.
They do not work in the dark Most of those that I have had contact with are
actively looking for case studies and typical situations from the "real
world" which can become the sources of teaching and learning for their
future teachers.

At 08:29 PM 11/6/96 -0600, Vance McSwain wrote:

>It's simple. "Too real, no deal." In other words, how many people would
teach if they knew as a sophomore or junior what they were in for the next
30 years.

However, if you take it a day (or week) at a time, the whole thing can be a
"real hoot", or a "nightmare", depending upon your interest in the kids,
your particular student age group, your supporting administration, your
training and experience in the arts, etc.

Vance----->No one can provide a quality program for 180 plus kids a day. Day
after Day.
>Any administration that expects that is very foolish. Any one who claims to
be able to do it should be suspect. Unless of course they did it for one
year and then moved on.

But.... what if you are on "the block" and you have only 80 to 90 kids
bouncing through your room each day, three classes a day, a long conference
period and a large, well equipped, teaching environment????? The picture
starts to look a bit more encouraging and the kids do some real
learning......well, most of them.......anyway. I have been surprised by the
positive effect of a larger classroom on student behavior and discipline
this year. (i.e.....less confrontation, fewer office referrals, fewer
fights, fewer accidents with projects and materials. ....)

Vance---->Art educators at all levels need to be constantly looking for new
jobs that present the opportunity for success for both the teacher and the
student. I know we all have to eat, but, as long as you will do it, you'll
be given the opportunity to. I have seen some impossible situations. I have
also know teachers to stay with them and year after year becoming more and
more disenchanted.

This is a good point, Vance. The administration, especially in the middle
level, are usually caught in a daily fight to survive the day, day in and
day out. The teachers and the students often seem to be swept into the same
current and any change, even for the better, is seen as suspect because it
may present more work, more confusion, or push the system out of control in
some new and unanticipated direction.

I think the daily demands of students at the middle level often leave the
adults drained by the end of the school day. It is difficult to think
creatively about new projects for the kids or about your own art making
when you are physically and emotionally drained by the minute by minute
stampede of hormones, hall monsters and ever evolving art room mess that
follows these kids like their shadows.

Bob Fromme

Respond to this message.