Re: Ceramics - Slab Work?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Tue, 05 Nov 1996 21:41:42 -0800

Respond to this message.

dabssw wrote:

> Hi Everyone
> Can anyone please offer any suggestions.
> I am teaching a very very begining level ceramic class (actualy it is for adults
> but I do not think that makes so much of a difference at this stage). I am
> trying to teach them some of the basic hand building skills, just to get them
> started as it were. We have done pinch pots & coiling now I would like to move
> on to slab work, but problems:-
> the class is only 1&1/2 hours long
> about 15 students
> no plaster to roll on
> we roll on wooden tables
> clay is not too wet - mediumish!
> class meets once a week
> Can you suggest a slab activity for one lesson, allowing for the clay to be of a
> consistancy where by the slab vessel will work!!!?????
> Or can you suggest any other slab building activity???????
> They made some coil pots last lesson which they can carve into while their slabs
> are drying if necessary.
> Thank you for your thoughts at such a busy time.
> Sharon from Hong Kong

This is a no fail project, with whimsy. I have each student build an
apartment, with three walls and a floor. The front wall is open for all
to see. The floor of one apartment becomes the ceiling of the other. (I
hot glue all the apartments together for a condo a la totem look--they
can be separated with a knife later on) Each student has a set size so
that apartments fit one on top of another. Each student must glaze the
outside (with scored bricks) the same glaze to keep the notion of
apartment consistant, but what they put inside of their apartments is up
to them. I get everything from couches, pool tables, animals, tv's,
phones, lamps, people, dirty clothes, plants, books, you name it, they
put it in their apartments....all made out of clay.

We just finished taking them out of the glaze kiln today, and everyone
was excited, and this is in highschool! To tell you the truth, this
project always cracks me up!

San D

Respond to this message.