Re: School/Community Relations

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ronald F Bennett (rbennett)
Tue, 05 Nov 1996 14:16:59 -0500

Respond to this message.

Toulouse95 wrote:

> Christy,
>
> It really does make a difference when you post an explanation about the
> processes involved with student work. I include, whenever applicable, the
> name of the process, a brief explanation of history, description of unusual
> media, vocabulary terms and definitions, steps involved and objectives of the
> lesson disguised in layman's terms. It adds validity to the display. People
> know my students are learning (and they readers are, too). With today's fancy
> word processors and printing programs it is easy to make these snazzy looking
> in a short period of time. Many times I pull information right from the file
> containing the lesson plan. I mount them on colored construction paper and
> laminate if I think I might use them again.
>
> I never cease to be amazed at how many people (parents, faculty, students and
> the general public) actually read these and look for evidence of the items in
> the work. I even get phone calls asking about more specifics. Much of the
> public is wanting to become informed. It also adds validity to my program.
> People don't think my students come to art to just color, paste, and have an
> easy class. I tell my shell-shocked students that face one assignment after
> another that they must have been confused when they signed up for art -- just
> because it was a short little word with three letters, they thought it was
> going to be a breeze. Many say that they work harder in art than in any
> academic class. Yeah! I tell them the class should be enjoyable, but not
> necessarily always what they would prefer to be doing.
>
> Mary Jane Young
> T. R. Miller High School
> Brewton, AL

Dear Friends,

Taking this one step further, I have invited parents, other faculty and
administrators to participate in a demonstration lesson I developed
during the Curriculum Institute for the Arts I attended last summer. I
will have people come participate in this lesson during American
Education Week. The lesson, "Beyond the Gate" is about Charleston, SC
blacksmith Philip Simmons and the ornamental wrought iron work he
makes. The lesson is designed for adult learners and helps them to
better understand what is being taught in art education. The lesson is
specifically designed to cover all 4 componets of DBAE. The lesson
activity has the learner create their own gate by using quilled paper.
This lesson has been a big success for me in helping other who don't
teach art to better understand the how much we really do teach in the
art classroom. I highly encourage other to plan a demonstration lesson
to do with parents and other people. It is a great way to promote art
advocacy. As we all know people learn more by participating in the
process, and they will remember it too.

Peggy Bennett
Marrington Elementary
Goose Creek, SC 29445