Re: artist/speakers who tour

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Chris Merriam (ktwnldy.az.us)
Tue, 05 Nov 1996 08:29:52 -0700

Respond to this message.

Larry Hurt wrote:

> Does anyone know any significant/relatively high profile artists who
> would be good in this capacity? Have you seen them? Are they able to
> speak in an articulate manner about their work with children?

Larry...

The artists are right there under your nose:) I have had local artists
come into my classroom... even paid by the school and the state
commission on the arts. It took alot of effort on my part to get to
shows and meet the people and talk to them... some were most
uncomfortable with the idea, others volunteer to come in anytime!

Shonto Begay, who will be on the cover of the winter isue Indian Artist
Magazine was a person I started with. He is excellent! (but now he is
too busy!) He has illustrated childrens books as well as showing his
work in major galleries. I know his wife's email...cruzb9
cannot recall his. He is also willing to visit schools when he is in the
area for shows.

Start going to openings and art shows in your area and talking to the
artists... some even donate prints to the classes!

Have fun!

Chris
Christine Merriam, Art Educator
Kayenta Intermediate School