Re: Suggest Subjects for Mural

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Christine Beth Johnson (chrbjohn)
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 23:58:31 -0500 (EST)

Respond to this message.

Why not let the students figure the design,installation out with the=20
residents who can. This will increase their knowledge of the very=20
decisions you are making. They will do well for you. Let them research=20
what is desired, requirements, etc. Suggest you follow Chuck Burnette's=20
design format ( can be seen at

I've seen 3 graders design a musuem exhibit, 7th graders a store and much=
more. Talk about pride and critical thinking.=20

On Mon, 4 Nov 1996 Toulouse95 wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
> Thank you for all of the marvelous suggestions I have gotten from this gr=
> as you have helped others with their questions and problems. Now I have a
> couple of my own and I know you right hemisphered folks will come up with
> more excellent suggestions.
> (1) The local nursing home administrators that my students and I have wor=
> with for several years have asked us to paint a mural for a wall of a gro=
> room. So we can paint the mural at school, I plan on using 4 sheets of on
> 4=92x6=92 masonite to be bolted to the wall upon completion. When I have =
> this before it worked well, we painted over the bolts after they were
> mounted. On relatively small murals I cut the sheets puzzle fashion with =
> jigsaw along key lines in the composition to minimize the seams. Since th=
> one will be larger, I am planning to hang the panels vertically, leaving =
> to 12=94 gaps between the sheets to emphasize the multi-paneled composit=
> Do any of you have any suggestions for subject matter? The only requests =
> that it be colorful. The only ideas I have come up with are so commonplac=
e. I
> wish we could do something that would really liven the place up. HELP! My
> creative ideas are at an all-time low. Surely many of you have great idea=
> Please share!
> (2) Also, the director and I are kicking around the idea of doing a small=
> pieces for the halls. There are a couple of days a year when 1/4 of the
> pupils at our school are out for band contests and I think I can pull man=
y of
> my remaining students for a multi-houred session, possibly pairing a stud=
> with a resident to paint joint compositions. I feel that using the same
> format throughout will guarantee some unity to the display. We are not
> necessarily concerned that the results be too aesthetic. Have any of you =
> similar projects? Any suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Mary Jane Young
> T. R. Miller High School