Re: School/Community Relations

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Christine Beth Johnson (chrbjohn)
Sat, 2 Nov 1996 15:03:16 -0500 (EST)

Respond to this message.

Following up on Blanche's wonderful comments:
Mount student work WITH the explaniation of the lesson in public
buildings. Try showwing the video tape she talked about on a public
access channel and publicize that so viewers are high. Pick out promonent
residents who develop the artist within then are doing some other
career. You will find them as they risk takers and successful. Campaign
like this worked well in our area. Also, learn from the sports booster
groups in your area. They do organize support well.
Chrsity Johnson

On Sat, 2 Nov 1996 BlancheR12 wrote:

> TO: Alexandra Kijak Wolfe
> akijak
> RE: School/Community Relations
>
> Obviously your situation is very complicated, but I would think that if the
> program you are trying to save is really good then the best "spokespeople"
> for it would be the students themselves. I believe there is nothing more
> impressive or convincing than seeing young students talk intelligently and
> perceptively about a work of art, discussing its meaning, its relationship to
> history/culture, the artist, the techniques used, what else was happening in
> the world at the time, and the work's relationship to their own lives. Next
> to actually bringing the "decision makers" into the classroom to observe, I
> would suggest trying to capture some of this on videotape and using short
> segments as part of your "ammunition." Good luck.
>
> Blanche Rubin

Respond to this message.