[teacherartexchange] look fors

---------

From: judy di salvo stenger (cecidee_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 19 2011 - 15:58:15 PST

Hello everyone,
    I have a question about art observations.  First, let me tell you
that my school is in restructuring planning, so we are getting many
visits from "on high."
Also, I'm in a middle school, and our our "department" is Art, music,
FACS, tech ed, computer apps, and Health/ P.E.  Our resource person is
a P.E. teacher.
There is a great emphasis on student discourse, and the observers are
looking for it in every session.  My feeling is that discourse is
appropriate for
aesthetics, critical thinking, social/cultural/historical context, but
not production.  I quoted Martha Graham in my message to members of
our leadership team,
"If I could say it, I wouldn't have to dance it."  Since we are
looking for unique solutions, independent thinking, and highly
personal expression, the studio
part of the lesson (which could be many sessions) is not
collaborative.   The county art supervisor concurs, but I would like
your comments, and I'd like to share them
with my supervisors.  Thanks for listening!  What do you think?
Judy Di Salvo Stenger