[teacherartexchange] safe materials in the art room

---------

From: ruth campbell (campbellruthscott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 07 2011 - 16:05:27 PST

Fellow Art Educators,

In reading  a post which refers to having done image transfers
with acetone:  it is my understanding that acetone is a known  cancer-causing
carcinogen, and can be ingested through the skin.
I can't imagine any scenario where it would be ok to use this with students,
and would never subject my kids to it, or open myself to the liability.

It's been a mission of mine to always choose safe products, water-base,
read the labels, good ventilation, etc.  Many teachers  cross this line,
supplementing small budgets with free, donated, and unmarked materials.
Beware of free old kilns can have asbestos lids, "generous" donations of glazes
commonly contain lead, old markers, can also have benzene and acetone...

Massachusetts has been the leader in state requirements for art material
safety;  companies cannot ship "art" supplies with certain chemicals
to schools below 7th grade.
Of course, that wouldn't prevent someone from buying it at a hardware store.

Be careful, be smart, detox those  supply closets !