Re: [teacherartexchange] Moyo Ogundipe

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 22 2010 - 17:05:22 PST

Greetings Loretta,

The work of Moyo Ogundipe is beautiful! I can't remember now where I
stumbled across some of his work.... I know I have seen the ones with
the fish.

Here is a link to the image you mentioned:
Moyo's 'Soliloquy: Life's Fragile Friction'
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/exhibits/dialogue/ogunI.htm

My students - all ages - had great success with crayon engravings. The
work was drawn onto sturdy white tag board, outlined with permanent
markers (ultra thin - or thin - depending on grade level) - then
colored VERY heavily with regular crayons in bright colors (the
metallic ones are great for this, too). Once the coloring is done,
brush on India ink that is only slightly thinned with water and has a
drop or two of dish washing liquid added. By thinning it slightly, the
students can see through it just a bit so they know where their images
are - and know where to scratch. The dish washing liquid helps it
stick to the crayons. Experiment with your ink first - too much water
and you won't get the contrast you are looking for....too little water
and it will be a bit frustrating for the kids. Brand of ink doesn't
matter (I had good success with Higgins and Dick Blick). Various
patterns can also be scratched. Parents/co-worker were always
impressed with the results.... So simple - and cheap (once you have
the scratch tools on hand).

If you are interested in seeing some images of the most recent student
work I have using this technique, let me know (LORETTA ONLY... I am
not forwarding them to hundreds of people -- grin. Most of you have
seen them already as they were on my web site).

Hope this helps,

Judy Decker

As always - if anyone posts a reply to this, remove my email address
before you click "Send".