RE: [teacherartexchange] speech and art

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 22 2010 - 06:33:50 PST

Gooe Morning!
  Don't you just love how administrators and curriculum developers just love to throw people anything to teach and therefore water down both? I would definitely NOT make critique part of the speech curriculum in that way. Why? You might do a disservice to both art and speech by forcing the marriage beween the two.

 Personally I would teach the speech component as it is, as speech component, and look up curricula that address that issue. So for example there are many kinds of speeches.

The four basic types of speeches are: to inform, to instruct, to entertain, and to persuade. These are not mutually exclusive of one another. You may have several purposes in mind when giving your presentation. For example, you may try to inform in an entertaining style. Another speaker might inform the audience and try to persuade them to act on the information.
However, the principle purpose of a speech will generally fall into one of four basic types:

1.Informative ˇV This speech serves to provide interesting and useful information to your audience.
Some examples of informative speeches:
ˇ˝A teacher telling students about earthquakes
ˇ˝A student talking about her research
ˇ˝A travelogue about the Tower of London
ˇ˝A computer programmer speaking about new software

2.Demonstrative Speeches ˇV This has many similarities with an informative speech. A demonstrative speech also teaches you something. The main difference lies in including a demonstration of how to do the thing youˇ¦re teaching.
Some examples of demonstrative speeches:
ˇ˝How to start your own blog
ˇ˝How to bake a cake
ˇ˝How to write a speech
ˇ˝How toˇK just about anything

3.Persuasive ˇV A persuasive speech works to convince people to change in some way: they think, the way they do something, or to start doing something that they are not currently doing.
Some examples of persuasive speeches:
ˇ˝Become an organ donor
ˇ˝Improve your health through better eating
ˇ˝Television violence is negatively influencing our children
ˇ˝Become a volunteer and change the world

4.Entertaining ˇX The after-dinner speech is a typical example of an entertaining speech. The speaker provides pleasure and enjoyment that make the audience laugh or identify with anecdotal information.
Some examples of entertaining speeches:
ˇ˝Excuses for any occasion
ˇ˝Explaining cricket to an American
ˇ˝How to buy a condom discreetly
ˇ˝Things you wouldnˇ¦t know without the movies

So you can see that your students can really explore MANY different subjects when working within this 4 types of speeches framework. I would structure the class the same way I would any other class I taught, but instead of "producing" a piece of artwork, they would produce a speech. And, that said, I would encourage them to do the speech WITHOUT notes, by stretching themselves to memorize and "perform" like drama or speech and debate students.

San D