[teacherartexchange] speech and art

---------

From: Chantal Pinnow (chantalpinnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 22 2010 - 05:18:32 PST

Hello,
I am teaching at a new school this year. I have a 9th grade drawing class that is required to be a drawing class four days a week and a speech class one day a week. I know nothing about speech and feel very unqualified teaching them (this was a last minute thing, I had not planned on teaching at all this year, but the school needed someone to do it and I have taught art for 8 years). So far, I have been winging it, but I dread every week when that one day comes up. I think I would feel better about the subject if I could at least incorporate art into it and make it something I have a clue about. I have thought about making them do art critiques as a speech, but beyond that, I have no ideas. I want them to enjoy it and get something out of it too. Any good ideas out there? I am afraid if I just assign them an artwork to critique, they will find it boring and won't get into it. I know there are many creative minds out there that can help me fill the gap for a few more weeks.
Thank you!
Chantal