[teacherartexchange] The Grinch

---------

From: Frances Rice (francyfree2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 21 2010 - 04:12:41 PST

Hi,
  The Grinch has some great word choices and phrases such as "slithered and slunk". Perhaps students could choose interesting words and phrases to draw in fat letters and color or paint them. Each letter could be filled with interesting line designs such as snowflakes, Grinch characters, or presents possibly using pen and ink or markers. Perhaps interesting fonts or even the ways words are shaped to reflect the meaning could be interpreted. Imagine how you might shape the words "slithered and slunk". Or what if the student drew the words and drew the Grinch slithering in and around the letters? These pictures and illustrated words/phrases could decorate the door.
  This would integrate language arts by getting students to listen to the interesting word choices within the text. It would also use higher level thinking skills such as analysis. Plus you could expose students to an appreciation for the artistry in font design of letter shapes. (I believe there's a subspecialty of printing that focuses on font design which I think is called typography.) What font would they choose if they were designing the layout of the book? Do they like the font which was chosen in the Dr. Seuss book? Why or why not? These might be additional questions to study and investigate. And of course students could learn about the life and art of Dr. Seuss (Ted Giesel) as an art history study.
   I just thought of more project possibilities. What about creating altered books with a Grinch theme? The books could contain illustrations of the students favorite parts, characters, or even be a brief synopsis of the story. Or perhaps students could create pop up scenes from the story. What about papier mache or recycled junk sculptures of the characters or even having students collaborating to create diorama like sculpture scenes from the book? Perhaps different classes/grades could explore different projects or ideas. And you could even get the students to help you generate ideas or help choose what they are interested in spending the week exploring in terms of the art they will create. And hopefully your students would have an opportunity to display their creations (possibly in the library) even if it is after the holidays.
   Have fun! Frances Rice