Re: [teacherartexchange] How to protect floor - potter's wheel?

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 19 2010 - 16:28:55 PST

Maggie - I hope you find that art teaching job - as for clay and
floors - my custodian was glad
to have my classroom wet mopped every night - he assigned the night
custodian to do it.
They wanted to keep the clay tracks out of the school hallways. If
they do it for you - repay
the favor - bake cookies or buy them a bottle or two.
                                                                Woody

On Nov 19, 2010, at 4:56 PM, <mwhite139@cox.net> <mwhite139@cox.net>
wrote:

> Hi, Sharon,
>
> A tarp would catch all the clay that falls on it, the clay would
> dry, and people would walk on it, creating a lot of dust. Since
> you have a linoleum floor, I would ask maintenance for a big mop and
> bucket (the kind with the mop squeezy thing) so you can wet mop
> every day. They will probably be most grateful that you're taking
> care of this in-class. Keeping dust down is key to a healthy clay
> area.
>
> Boy, I miss teaching art! I'm casting about for a new job in a
> different country, and hope I can land an art job (but not
> elementary).
>
> Maggie in Quito
>
> ---- Sharon <sharon@art-rageous.net> wrote:
>> I'm trying to set up an area in my classroom for one big potter's
>> wheel and a tabletop model. I'm in a newly renovated space with
>> linoleum and I'm thinking about getting some sort of canvas tarp to
>> put on the floor in that section.
>>
>> Would that work? Where would I get it? Can anyone offer a better
>> suggestion?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Sharon (long-time art teacher, but total newbie re: clay, wheels,
>> kilns, etc.)
>> www.art-rageous.net

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net