Re:[teacherartexchange] paper weaving

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 11 2010 - 06:51:01 PST

Second or third grade is an ideal grade level for paper weaving. For second
grade, I would keep it simple, with straight lines and fewer strips. Keep in
mind you will need an uneven number of lines of warp for a weaving to work. I
found that weaving on black paper with very colorful strips or even metallic
paper was graphically

interesting and makes great displays. You might try a "weave a line, glue a
line" or "tape a line" approach, which minimizes shifting while weaving
alternate lines. At

third grade level, try kicking it up a notch with curved,zig-zags or diagonal
warp lines, which makes

dramatic paper weaving and are very sophisticated looking, or having kids cut
their own strips out

of designs they have made or paintings they don't like. By fourth grade,
kids can weave on simple looms with yarn or other flexible materials.