Re: [teacherartexchange] masking tape in kiln

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 02 2010 - 07:29:14 PDT

Yes, try it. Placed it in the kiln so it does not fall apart from gravity after the tape or the glue burns out. Sometimes the piece has to be placed in the kiln at a funny angle so it will not fall apart when the glue melts. Set it on a little clay to change the angle if needed. We have drilled a holes in the bisque and put in clay pins (rivets) plus lots of glaze to reattach handles that have fallen off. I have also designed attractive clay patches that cover and reinforce cracks. Kids can learn to experiment and become creative if you ask them to propose ways of ways to fix things. I don't tell them how to do it. I ask them to make proposals. We discuss possible outcomes and then encourage them to make a choice and try it.

Marvin
www.bartelart.com