Re: [teacherartexchange] firing pre glazed tiles

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2008 - 08:31:03 PST

Michael Hackett wrote:
>Can pre glazed 4"X4" purchased tiles be glazed and refired? Are specific glazes required? What firing temperature would be recommended?

Try one with a cone 05, 06, or 07 low fire glaze or overglaze. If it is high fired vitreous tile, fire it slowly at the early phase of firing to allow steam pressure out slowly enough (in case some water gets soaked into the tile body). Some types of tile will endure cone 6 or 8 high temp firing, but it depends on the clay they used to make the tile. In general, glazes on top of fired glazes are apt to go on too thinly, so experiment with ways to get the glaze on thick enough.

Marvin