Re: [teacherartexchange] plaster strips for mold making

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (SMILLER_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2008 - 12:45:11 PST

I used to do it all the time with middle schoolers. We worked in pairs,
spread newspaper then cut the plaster strips and arranged them all
around the water bowl with each piece single stacked and not touching
another so they won't get wet while you are working. The person to be
plastered then put on a garbage bag with a hole in the top, and we taped
the hole shut around his neck. We put a tight bandana on them, covering
all of their hair and going mid way down their forehead. Then they
greased up with vasaline and the partner carefully put on the strips.
Lots of water with plaster drips down their bodies, so we turned up the
edges of the plastic bag, and then put another garbage bag across their
lap. The plaster doesn't come out of their clothing. When the masks
harden up 20 min or so, have them remove their own and be sure to place
them face up or they'll crush the noses. They still need to dry
overnight. You can reinforce the next day. Make sure you have a
marker or something to put their names on the masks. There are always a
few who freak out and open their eyes, and a couple that get a rash. I
think the vasaline helps with that.

>>> Michelle Molnar <mmolnar1@msn.com> 11/25/2008 12:09 pm >>>

Hello,

Has anyone done a project where you casted students' hands or faces
using plaster wrap? If so, did you have any issues with it getting
too hot or with anyone being allergic? Did you just use vaseline as a
release agent?

Thanks!