RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: November 20, 2008

---------

From: Sherry Syrie (ssyrie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 25 2008 - 11:26:32 PST

Paulette-Here at Cheney Middle School, a new Performance Assessment Test
along with state art requirements at the high school level (1 year of
art now, soon to be 2 years) have mandated that we include reading and
writing into our class requirements. I think it's GREAT! It makes me
feel like my class can be about SO MUCH MORE than just "doing fun stuff"
as you put it. And, it has earned us "Art Teachers" a bit more respect
from other teachers of reading and writing. First, at the beginning of
each quarter I make sure the kids understand and are aware that all
artwork has a story behind it. We talk about some of the more famous
pieces the kids know a little about and what "stories" they have. Then
we talk about how knowing the story or background of a piece makes it
more meaningful and memorable. That is a nice intro. for the writing
piece I require that accompanies most art projects we complete. A few
examples of writing in my class are; "I AM ARTWORK" where the kids speak
in the 1st person (as the art project) and write a narrative about
themselves, how they were created, who created them (the student) etc.
Also, we do a "WHISTLE CREATURE BIOGRAPHY" where after making a ceramic
whistle creature the kids write a biography, written in the 3rd person,
about the creature's personality traits, likes, dislikes, significance
of his/her whistle etc. As I display student art work these writing
pieces accompany them and serve to give the kids more practice at
writing (which as teachers we ALL are responsible for) and serve to make
their own projects more interesting and meaningful to people
appreciating their artwork in the case. As far as reading goes, I also
have a thing called, "Friday Favorites" where on Fridays I share my
favorite artwork, book illustrations, internet artwork/photographs that
people have sent to me etc. I tend to lean more toward sharing the book
illustrations because the kids ask for that more often (even middle
school kids LOVE to be read to). So, first I talk about why I love the
book so much and why it's my "Friday favorite" pick. Then I read the
book to the kids and we talk about the story/message and the artwork
that was used in the illustrations. We get pretty serious about
exploring the artist's techniques and have a lively group discussion
about it which usually leads to a few students doing their own
independent research to find out more and answer some questions that we
were left with about how/why etc. It's a great way to come together as
a class and to TALK about artwork too.
I hope this helps--Keep up the good fight! Sherry Syrie