[teacherartexchange] Fwd: Hexagon '09 Project - Link your students tot he World!

---------

mrsbeeswax_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Nov 24 2008 - 03:32:24 PST

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Beth Burkhauser" <bburkhauser@msn.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 2:24:52 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Hexagon '09 Project - Link your students to the World!

GREETINGS ALL!! AN EARLY CALL TO GET INVOLVED!!!

Attached you will find the updated materials [including a thematic,
reproducible handout, the hexagon template, and two PowerPoints with
examples and introduction for you to use or share with your students] for
the International Interdependence Day Hexagon Project, Year #3 opening on
September 4, 2009 [Deadline for entries:  June 30, 2009]. We invite
junior/middle and senior high school students [grades 5 - 12] throughout the
world to respond creatively to the many themes of Global Interdependence -
real-world issues -  and become a part of an international movement to
create a more civil, peace-minded and just world. This is a meaningful
vehicle for allowing young people to think and respond about issues of
personal and global importance. We had over 150 pieces exhibited at an
exciting, participatory event this 2008 year and we hope to have a bigger
and even more meaningful exhibit in 2009! We envision filling the Melberger
Arts Center here in Scranton from floor to ceiling with interconnected
hexagons that tell the story about students' vision and understanding of
connectedness.

Check out the attached PowerPoints! Pictures are worth thousands of words!!
Notice how the Hexagon Template has been used in so many creative ways! Any
medium, 2 - D or 3 - D, any art form - as long as it is within the template
space - or multiple templates!!!

Deadline:  June 30, 2009.  The exhibit will open at the Melberger Arts
Center  in Scranton, PA on Friday, September 4, 2009 and run through the
month of September, 2009. Interdependence Day, the day after 9/11, is
celebrated here and worldwide and this exhibit is another component for
young people.

BIG NEWS!  School Arts Magazine will publish an article about THE HEXAGON
PROJECT in the March 2009 issue!! We are very excited about this support!
Our goal here at Interdependence Day Headquarters in Scranton Pennsylvania
is to reach out to international partners even farther than last year
[Nepal, Cameroon, Australia, Mexico].  In order to do this would you please
forward this email to any and all contacts you may have locally, USA and
throughout the world and ask others to join in this creative and artistic
challenge!

BEFORE YOU CLOSE THIS E-MAIL, IF YOU COULD FORWARD THIS INFORMATION TO OTHER
TEACHERS, ADMINISTRATORS, FRIENDS - LOCAL OR WORLDWIDE - IT WOULD BE GREATLY
APPRECIATED! OR - IF YOU HAVE  CONTACT FOR ME - PLEASE SEND IT!

.
Soon, on our  website you will be able to download the Interdependence Day
Handbook for readings and suggestions for working with the themes, go to:
- www.idayscranton.org. The site has not yet been updated for 2009 with the
information that is attached to this e-mail but a description, bibliography
and slide show of the 2008 event are available.  Be sure to print out the
ATTACHED FILES because they are the most up-to-date.  I will let you know
when the website is ready and update you on any new developments.

If  you have questions, please e-mail me or George Barbolish
[gbarbolish@hotmail.com], my Co-Chair.  We will be happy to answer your
questions or concerns.  See Project Description for additional contact
information.
I look forward to hearing from you all! LET US KNOW IF YOU PLAN TO
PARTICIPATE!

Thank you to all who participated in 2007 and 2008.  It was such a pleasure
to see such powerful and compelling work from you students!

Peace.
Beth Burkhauser, George Barbolish, Annette Palutis

If you want the attachments please email Beth Berkhauser bburkhauser@msn.com