[teacherartexchange] text for 6th graders?

---------

From: paulette keck (paulettekeck_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2008 - 19:18:07 PST

Hi all,

I've been having some serious issues with classroom
management lately and have decided to implement a more rigid routine
for a couple weeks to see if I can remind them that art is still a
class even though you do fun stuff in it. I am looking for something
the kids (6th graders) can read for 5 minutes or so at the beginning of
class and then answer questions on. It can be just about anything, like
short bios of notable artists, or art periods or something like that.
Even if its something I can break into parts for several days.

Of course, there's a catch... the reading levels range from 8th grade all
the way down to 1st. In fact, most are probably around 4th grade level,
so I'm really looking for a range of resources.

Do any of you have a period of time dedicated to reading and writing?
And if so, how does that impact your curriculum? Your classroom management?
the kids' interest?

Thanks so much.

Paulette
Bronx Studio School for Writers and Artists
NYC Public Schools