[teacherartexchange] Antique Maps - primarily of Asia/China

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2008 - 09:26:03 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I am finally getting to the latest Scout Report....

Here is a site that will add interest to your Renaissance (15th/16th
centuries) studies and beyond.

Antique Maps: The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Library
http://lbxml.ust.hk/mp/main.html

There are some World maps, Pacific Ocean, Russia - most maps are from
China/Asia.
(click on link to Geographic Regions).

From Scout Report:

>>Created by the Special Collections Department at the Hong Kong University of
Science and Technology Library, this fine collection of digitized antique
maps will pique the interest of geographers and historians alike. The
collection contains over 230 maps, charts, pictures, books, and complete
atlases produced by European cartographers from the 16th to the 19th
centuries. The collection serves as an interesting record of the cross-
cultural exchanges between China and the West, and visitors can sort the
list of maps by title, mapmaker, or year. There are many highlights here,
but visitors should take a look at the work of Edward Belcher, who is
responsible for maps of both Canton and the Canton River. Also, there's a
rather intriguing 1851 map by one J. Rapkin titled "China and Burmah". [KMG]

Also from Scout Report.....

World Architecture:
http://www.worldarchitecture.org/main/

>>The World Architecture Community website is the genuine article, and even a
cursory look reveals that people are posting items to this site from
Bangalore to Buffalo. New users can go to the left-hand side of the site to
register, and then they can look through the various architectural
directories, which include architects, buildings, critics, and theorists. In
the buildings area, the buildings available for consideration are divided
into more detailed thematic categories, including "Work Places", "Public
Buildings", and "Public Infrastructure". Moving on, the site also includes
an excellent section dedicated to "Theory and Issues". Here visitors can
read about sustainable development, semiotics, design, and urban issues. All
told, this site is a tremendous resource for architects, urban planners, and
students of cities in general. [KMG]

Scout Report available at:
http://scout.wisc.edu/

>From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout 1994-2008.