Re: [teacherartexchange] Thesis help!

---------

From: Diane Gregory (gregory.diane55_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2008 - 08:27:17 PST

Ronda,

Sounds like an interesting starting point for your thesis. :-) Perhaps after you get some background information on this, the next step might be to identify your research question. This is the hardest part of the thesis: to ask an original, compelling research question that has not been asked and answered before, and would have great significance to art education as a field. Writing a thesis is tough work. As you do your research on this topic and gather your interesting examples of the media's use of famous works of art, think about a research question. I always tell my students to ask a research question that interests them. Then after that do research in the field to determine the answer. Try to avoid the pitfall of many researchers by trying to come up with an answer and then finding sources to support your answer. By asking a genuine authentic question and conducting a genuine review of the literature to discover some answers is an exciting
 journey that may lead to unexpected answers and places. I could see how you could involve yourself with interviewing advertising agencies, marketing people and perhaps even the general public about this. One of the questions I have is why this technique is used and how effective has it been. It seems it would be directed to a fairly educated audience that would recognize the art work used in the ad. Another question I have is how could this be used to teach art history to K-12 students? I am fascinated with your topic and would love to hear reports of your work on the list.

Good luck!

Diane
dgregory@mail.twu.edu