[teacherartexchange] Thesis help!

---------

From: Ronda Sternhagen (rsternhagen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 09 2008 - 04:01:25 PST

I think I've narrowed down a starting point for my masters thesis
study, and I need your help.

The title (at this point, any way) is "Art and the Evolution of Mass
Media," focusing on how 'famous' art works are creeping into mass
media more and more. Andy Warhol thrived on this concept with his Pop
Art work, commercializing celebrities and everyday objects.

I have several examples in mind already, but would appreciate it if
you would keep your artistic eyes open for me.

This might take you a few minutes to work through, but I think you
will find it interesting, nonetheless.

Here are a few examples...
Can you recognize this work by M. C. Escher
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e0/HouseOfStairs.jpg/300px-HouseOfStairs.jpg
in this commercial?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZS6BcS9kLI

Or what about Grant Wood's "American Gothic"
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/HAD/4241~American-Gothic-Posters.jpg
as the "Son-in-Law" movie poster
http://www.moviemart.in/upload/Son-In-Law4a6f1.jpg

There was a car commercial a few years ago that used Edvard Munch's
"The Scream." The car drove through the painting.
http://images.allposters.com/images/pic/EUR/1700-5162~The-Scream-Posters.jpg
Do you remember the car company? I can't...

And who doesn't LOVE m&ms? They used the same Munch image to market
their dark chocolate variety.
http://www.artnews.com/assets/images/articles/article-2486.jpg

There are lots more, but I think you get the idea. The plan is to
develop this into some kind of web-based class. We'll see where it
takes me.

Thanks for your help!

Ronda in Iowa