Re: [teacherartexchange] The election

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 14:45:03 PST

On Nov 7, 2008, at 11:23 AM, Jerry Vilenski wrote:

> I am frankly surprised that anyone in education, especially art
> education, would think that this country was headed in the right
> direction under the last administration. Among those "left behind"
> in education are those who teach in the arts. Wouldn't it be
> great, just once in your career, to be regarded as an integral part
> of educating students, instead of being used as planning time, or
> worse yet, a recreational class that gets kids ready for "real
> learning"? So, Jan, I AM ready for the change we initiated, and it
> will definitly be "the most interesting of times". It has been a
> long time coming!

I too am excited about the change to come, but unfortunately
politicians are scoundrels and Obama may face obstacles he can little
change. I learned at my curriculum committee meeting the day before
the election that whoever those NCLB people are did some dastardly
deeds that surpasses legislation. The testing is going to get worse.

I got this today from the Public Education Network:

> For their part, soon-to-depart US Department of Education (ED)
> officials are working to leave their ideological imprint, making it
> more difficult for the new administration to make changes. In late
> October, ED released over 440 pages of new NCLB regulations,
> thereby circumventing the normal legislative reauthorization
> process. The proposed regulations received hundreds of comments,
> but few were heeded in the 441-page text now available in the
> federal register at http://federalregister.gov/OFRUpload/OFRData/
> 2008-25270_PI.pdf. In addition, ED is in the process of stacking
> the personnel deck by moving current political appointees to
> strategic civil service positions throughout the department. It is
> incumbent on the next administration to have an in-depth knowledge
> of these last minute staffing changes and work around any potential
> personnel obstructions that may interfere with anticipated changes
> the new administration proposes.

(BTW that federal resister link doesn't work)

We can't feel too easy that Obama can change the NCLB laws with the
slash of a pen. It's very convoluted. We as educator's can't stop
bombarding the legislators with what we know works best for kids.
Keep those voices heard!! 440 pages of new regulations is more than
I can deal with, but the fact that they snuck it in at the last
minute is very annoying to what I consider a process.

For those that still don't understand the implications of NCLB -- it
is designed that all of us will fail eventually! By 2014 every
student /100% WIIL BE proficient. When a school fails to improve,
then parents can choose alternative schools. Just think of the
economic implications of that! My school is a good one. Our scores
for the general population are on the upswing. But we are under
school improvement this year because of 40 special ed students who
will never make these leaps. Schools don't get funding if they don't
improve. Just imagine the creative solutions that is going on in
administrators heads to find a way around the potential disasters to
be faced.

Forgive me. I'm so glad for the change in administrations, but I've
been on top of this NCLB thing from day one and the hope for change
there isn't apparent unless the new administration is bombarded with
our continued concerns. NCLB not going to just go away.

Patty K.