Re: [teacherartexchange] college suggestions for a student who wants to study game design

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 13:42:27 PST

One of my grandsons is a junior in computer science at MIT. He specializes in game design and speaks very highly of his experiences there. He is now being courted by companies who are providing free trips to visit their facilities to entice him to become a summer intern at their firm.

I just finished reading THE GRAMMAR OF FUN: CliffB and the world of the video game, by Tom Dissell. (New Yorker, Nov. 3, 2008, pp 78 - 84). On the one hand I was put off by their dependence on violence. One the other hand, I was impressed the company's creativity methods. I saw many similarities to a collaborative art studio environment. If we could give classroom methods and experiences the level of scrutiny that video game creators give their products, schools would all be way above average. This is one of many careers that exploits the benefits of collaborative learning and creativity in art and other subjects. What if teachers were coaches and the students formed diverse teams to invent their own assignments to produce products that are too complex and more creative than a single person could hope to accomplish? Might it happen best in a Choice environment where students have passed the threshold of needing to be told exactly how to proceed. A good artistic sense underl
 ies much of a game's success.

Marvin