Re:[teacherartexchange] The election

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 08:23:24 PST

I fully understand that this forum is meant to highlight the profession of teaching art, but I think that the outcome of this election has the potential to have a profound impact on our profession. I just keep thinking of what it will be like to have a president who is an intellectual, who gives measured thought to his actions, and does not engage in the practice of character assassination to promote his agenda. As an artist and art teacher,what will it be like to work and create in an educational environment that supports the arts, science,innovation, and the freedom to be whatever you want to be? After 34 years of being an art educator, I had lost hope that I would see such an environment, but now I am looking forward to the future of education in general, and specifically the arts in education.

As an educator, the choice between Obama and McCain could hardly be clearer. The last eight, long arduous years have been proof enough that the other party utterly failed to fullfill it's promise to improve education in this country, as it failed in so many other areas. McCain is a genuine hero, but so are the champions of civil rights, rights of privacy, the constitution and the truly disenfranchised of this country. In my opinion, the McCain campaign abandoned us, not the other way around, by engaging in the same old divisive tactics that have framed American politics for way too long.

I am frankly surprised that anyone in education, especially art education, would think that this country was headed in the right direction under the last administration. Among those "left behind" in education are those who teach in the arts. Wouldn't it be great, just once in your career, to be regarded as an integral part of educating students, instead of being used as planning time, or worse yet, a recreational class that gets kids ready for "real learning"? So, Jan, I AM ready for the change we initiated, and it will definitly be "the most interesting of times". It has been a long time coming!

Jerry
artguyvilenski.com