[teacherartexchange] The election

---------

From: Tina Vercelli (tvercelli_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 08:07:38 PST

 Let me first preface this comment by saying that the election was an
historical event. The first woman to have a real shot at the nomination, the
first minority president, the first woman Republican VP candidate. We have
came a long way in the last 250+ years. I can't help to be proud that we
live in a country where this can happen. The possibilities that came with
this election obviously inspired people who were once apathetic to step up
and take a chance on changing things by getting out and voting. The effect
of this election will be felt for generations to come.

I did not vote for Obama due to his political views. After carefully
exploring the options, I felt that he was not the best person for the job.
The election didn't go the way I personally wanted it to go, but I will
however support my new president to the best of my ability.

Obama has the whole world watching him to see how he does. The expectations
that have been placed on him are tremendous. His supporters have high hopes
that he will be the one who fixes everything. His critics are just waiting
for him to make the least little mistake. I'm worried the first time
something goes wrong that people who jumped on the "hope and change"
bandwagon will be disappointed and Obama's critics will make him the
scapegoat.

I hope that Americans will remember that Obama is just a man. He has to work
within the system that has been built. It's a crooked, cesspool of greed, no
matter which party you're in. Things won't change overnight and chances are
that things are going to get worse before they get better.

Obama has a lot to live up to. I certainly don't envy him right now.

TinaV