Re: [teacherartexchange] The Election

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2008 - 10:20:45 PST

Betty-
        I do understand - I moved from a very red state (Kansas). I was in
Wyandotte county - a very lonely
democratic county - but we had very strong music and art programs in
our schools. In this election, only
3 of Kansas 105 counties went blue - Wyandotte, Douglas (KU), and
Crawford (Pittsburg State).
        I need to say that I truly respect the true economic or fiscal
conservatives. They have as much a right
as any liberal or moderate to express their views. What I worry about
are the fringe of any leanings. On the
front page of this mornings Albuquerque Journal was a photo of a self
described "Conservative" buying
an AK-47 because he was worried Obama would take away his right to
arm himself. He was sure the
"Rapture" was coming and wanted to be prepared. And I thought my
desire for socialize medicine was
a radical idea. When I worked at GM years ago I met too many of these
types. That's the conservative
minority I really worry about.
        Now I spend my time with artists, museum docents, art teachers, etc.
I meet very view people who
would not be in support of the results we saw on Tuesday. In fact
most were actively working to elect
Obama. This is going to be a a great weekend to spent with New Mexico
art teachers. Our Fall conference
is in Glorieta (North of Santa Fe). I am presenting two hands on
workshops this weekend. It will be fun
to play at being an art teacher again.
                                                                                Woody

On Nov 6, 2008, at 9:02 AM, Betty B wrote:

> Oh, Woody, you know I'm jealous! Not a single county in Oklahoma
> went blue. We tried though. We had such a brilliant young man
> going against Inhofe to no avail. So now Inhofe will take off the
> leather jacket and work boots and leave the hay barn all his ads
> have been shot in, and put his lizard suit back on and get back to DC.
>
> There was no celebrating at my school. Utter silence from the
> faculty (except whispered congratulations between the liberals
> amongst us). Today was our all-school annual Veterans Day "Freedom
> Assembly" with video, slideshows, Veterans, the band and
> chorus....not one single MENTION of having a new president.
> Amazing. It just makes me sad that so many people are missing out
> on all this heart-filling JOY that I am feeling. (cried when he
> won, cried when he spoke, cried when Biden's little mom came out on
> stage.....)
>
> And as several of my old friends who are on Facebook are signing....
>
> Betty Hussein Bowen

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

Read My Blog: