RE: [teacherartexchange] beadwork - help! - get your magnifying glasses out!

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2008 - 04:34:48 PST

Hi Nora,

I do beadwork. Yes, it is difficult to thread beading needles. Here's
a few hints: get the "Thread Heaven" or beeswax and run it down your
thread off the end that you will thread. Then, with very sharp
scissors, cut the end at a slight diagonal. Firmly pinch the thread
between your thumb and index finger so that you can just barely see the
thread end and gently push the eye of the needle over the thread end,
pushing the thread into the eye. Once some thread gets into the eye,
pull it thru with your fingernail.
It will take a bit of practice. Also, check your thread type and brand.
Nymo is a good brand.

As far as your bead sizes, there are a few things that come to mind.
Perhaps you need an even smaller needle to fit your beads - esp. if you
are using size 15 beads which are really tiny. However, more likely is
that you have cheap beads which means that their insides and outsides
are not very uniform. Miyuki and delicas are very regular in size.
Nevertheless, often beaders cull (sort) these as well.

When I teach beading I go for the slightly bigger beads - I think they
are a size 8 - larger than seed beads but not as big as pony beads.

Feel free to ask more,
Jan in Tampa
gr 1-5