RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: October 28, 2008

---------

From: Tami Vernon (tamivernon61_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 02 2008 - 07:01:27 PST

Hi Leslie,

At our Family Art Night, we had a celebration in conjunction with our Music Department. Although, there was all types of art displayed, the main theme was multi-cultural art. Each student had at least 3 art pieces displayed. Additionally, the music teacher had a group of kids sing multi-cultural songs. Our PTA coordinated with parents and had them bring drinks and refreshments. Another major part of the event is I invited professional artists in our community to show their work and give demonstrations (they brought their own easels, etc.). The kids and parents really enjoyed chatting with the artists and seeing their work.

For this year's Art Night, we're going to purchase a large canvas so that we can have kids and parents work on an abstract piece of art during the event. One parent volunteered to tape overlapping lines in various directions on the canvas. Inside the shapes that are created, a person can paint, using acrylics, anything they want. For example, someone may paint a realistic scene within in their chosen shape, whereas another person may paint something more abstract. When everyone has finished painting, we'll remove the tape and hopefully the result will be a cool abstract painting that we can display at our school.

Although I did not do this at our Arts Night, I know of an art teacher who auctioned off student artwork (with student's permission) as a way to raise money for their art department. I am considering this for our next event.

Hopefully this helps!

Tami Vernon