Re: [teacherartexchange] Music for workshop

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2007 - 07:02:28 PST

Brain research shows that lyrics (words) in music keep students from
shifting to right brain functions.
I used soft jazz often and if we were doing art related to native
americans I played flute music.
I suggest you check out Carlos Nakai. http://www.rcarlosnakai.com/
It helps if you try to find music related to the lesson or culture
you are teaching. Tell your students
it is designed to get them in the proper mood. Also pick music you
enjoy because you have to
listen to it all day long.
                                                                        Woody

On Nov 29, 2007, at 5:27 AM, Hillmer, Jan wrote:

> I agree with the instrumental music - words are distracting to the
> kids.
> I have a few soundtracks that my kids ask for often - Harry Potter,
> Jurassic Park (still!)and Star Wars. During the holidays, my favorite
> is Rameau by Bob James. This has been around for quite a while.
> Electronic keyboard that sounds a bit like bells. Holiday sounding
> without the usual Holiday fare.
>
> Jan in Tampa

> My students do well with light jazz. Funny how they
> like it playing softly in the background. It has some
> rhythm and a pleasant beat but not overpowering to
> disrupt their thinking process.

Read My Blog:
http://www.taospaint.com/WoodysBlog/November07.html#NewestEntry

Watercolors on Note Cards