RE:[teacherartexchange] music workshop

---------

From: Kim Navarre (navarre_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2007 - 01:46:51 PST

>Music inspried art: the sound of painting

So much of childrens art making involves having them sit. To get them
up and working with all their body power I have them make 5 minute
watercolor ribbon paintings. I show them free-flow art such as what
was done by Kandinsky and Jackson Pollock. I tell them that a great
deal of muscians are also visual artists and that many artists listen
to music to calm or energize them when they are working in their art
studios.
I play 5 minute music selections and have them close their eyes while
painting to the music and "see" the music, its' beats, movements,
individual instruments, to feel the music with their feet and
translate that onto their paper (every 5 minutes, they change to a
new canvas when I change the music). I limit them to 3 colors of
their choice (to avoid neutral mud colors) and encourage them to vary
their brush sizes so as to get thin lines and thicker ones. My kids
love it because it involves senses they do not usually associate with
visual art. It teaches them about watercolor glazing, color mixing,
spontaneity and individuality ( blind drawing forbids us from
comparing our art to our neighbors or falling into competitive
copying). By using a wide range of music (no lyrics) from classical
string, to classical wind, soul, jazz, drum and yes, as much as it
makes my older lady heart beat way too fast, contemporary dance music
including digital. As we know, some music is seen as boxes and hard
edged shapes jumping and bouncing, or wind blown ribbons swaying to
violins, or short abrupt strokes inspired by quick note jumps. Big
paper works best as it allows for more brush and color movement. To
avoid everyone bumping into each other or ending up with human
canvases, I pre-empt the painting event by assigning them each a
personal space that limits their dance floor. I teach in California
and have been blessed with weather which allows my kids to work
outside. I cannot tell you how much my students beg me to do this
assignment over and over again. It puts them in their innate,
curious-sponge, free spirit mode. And by the way, armed with
paintbrushes and paper, I close my eyes and dance with them. Like I
said, I'm so blessed!

Kim NaVarre
artist, adult-child and teacher (otherwise known as perpetual student)
San Jose California
navarre@dacor.net
Wingspan art