[teacherartexchange] paper weaving

---------

From: Donna Pumphrey (dpumphrey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2007 - 09:32:16 PST

Hi all,

Just to let you know I did paper weaving with the remaining 1st graders with better success. I had them place the paper in the portrait position and draw a line about an inch and a half from the top. Then I had them "hot dog" fold-skinny fold the paper once, then again. Then I had them open the paper and draw a line from the folds up to the line they drew earlier. Then I had them cut on the lines to the line. Now we had weft.

Next, I had them put an alternating circle and square on the strips. Then I had them fold up the squares, lay down a yellow strip on the circles, then had them fold the circles up onto the yellow, and lay a green onto the squares. We repeated this process. I used 2 inch strips. I incorporated several suggestions I found here, thanks to all of you who helped.

--Donna

Donna Pumphrey
Third Creek Elementary
Art
+ I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way--things I had no words for.-Georgia O'Keefe

--- Scanned by M+ Guardian Messaging Firewall ---