Re: [teacherartexchange] Ceramic Tree of Life

---------

From: MWhite (mwhite139_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2007 - 07:40:46 PST

Peggy,

The best glue I've used for ceramics is Bond 527 Multi-purpose Cement.
I've used it on both student work and my own coffee mug handles. It
withstands repeated washings and handling. The only caveat is that the
students must be patient and hold the pieces together 'til it bonds well
enough to set aside and dry (I always suggested overnight). They often
tend to wiggle it to see if it's stuck yet, and of course that breaks
the bond.

The use of artifacts from other cultures is a particular interest of
mine. I couldn't tell from your post if your students were choosing
their own symbols or replicating those of the cultures you're studying,
but I do hope you are encouraging them to select symbols that are
important to them.

Maggie