[teacherartexchange] How do you meet the needs of your students?

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2007 - 06:30:58 PST

Dear Art Educators,

When was the last time you asked your students what they thought?

See the results of Clyde's mini survey when he questioned 1st and 2nd
graders... Yes, first and second graders know what they need, too.

From Clyde.

I surveyed my 1st and 2nd graders today.

16 told me they like it when I guide them with lessons that direct their art
ideas.

37 told me they liked the current balance of teacher directed lessons and
self-directed work time.

100 told me my lesson presentations were too long and I talked too much. They
liked it best when I talked the least because they had their art making ideas
ready when they came into class and I was cutting into their creative art making
time.
Clyde is a TAB Choice teacher. He has discovered as you will too that
some kids need direction, but the overriding majority want to make
their own art. You won't know who those small percentage of students
are unless you ask them.

I am guessing that Clyde will be talking less to the group as a result
of this survey and will focus more time one-on-one to students who
need direction. He will probably focus on how artists get ideas with
those students who need direction.

Take some time to ask your students what they want.

If you are interested more in TAB Choice, check out this page:
http://princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/TAB-CHOICE.htm

Here is the TAB Choice Yahoo Group: