[teacherartexchange] Ceramic Tree of Life

---------

From: Margaret Angstadt (mangstadt_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2007 - 05:48:46 PST

First, let me thank all who sent replies regarding curriculum last
month. I really enjoy this list -- especially all the resources
(thank you esp to Judy!)

I am interested in assigning a 'tree of life' theme for my Clay
Sculpture (HS) class, so I am doing my 'homework' now. I have
obtained lots of info and images that inform (including the PBS Crafts
in America dvd) but need some practical/structural advice.

With reference to the Mexican tradition, II see that the additions
[figures, flowers, animals, etc.] are added after firing, after
painting (or before painting sometimes). My question is, do the
artists use nichrome (high fire) wire >during< the firing, or add wire
to premade holes >after< firing. Actually, the latter makes more
sense to me because this 'after firing' wire is more flexible.

Then there is the glue...suggestions?

I absolutely love this theme, especially amid a culture of violence
and death. I have info mostly from Mexico/Peru, and India. I would
like students to experience more cultural influences, if any of you
can share resources on this.

In advance I once again thank you all for making time to share your
expertise, knowledge, and especially your passion for the arts!

Peggy

--
Margaret Angstadt
Art