Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Ceramic Tree of Life

From: Margaret Angstadt (mangstadt_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2007 - 05:48:46 PST

First, let me thank all who sent replies regarding curriculum last
month. I really enjoy this list -- especially all the resources
(thank you esp to Judy!)

I am interested in assigning a 'tree of life' theme for my Clay
Sculpture (HS) class, so I am doing my 'homework' now. I have
obtained lots of info and images that inform (including the PBS Crafts
in America dvd) but need some practical/structural advice.

With reference to the Mexican tradition, II see that the additions
[figures, flowers, animals, etc.] are added after firing, after
painting (or before painting sometimes). My question is, do the
artists use nichrome (high fire) wire >during< the firing, or add wire
to premade holes >after< firing. Actually, the latter makes more
sense to me because this 'after firing' wire is more flexible.

Then there is the glue...suggestions?

I absolutely love this theme, especially amid a culture of violence
and death. I have info mostly from Mexico/Peru, and India. I would
like students to experience more cultural influences, if any of you
can share resources on this.

In advance I once again thank you all for making time to share your
expertise, knowledge, and especially your passion for the arts!

Margaret Angstadt
Mill River Union High School
North Clarendon, VT
To unsubscribe go to