Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Guidelines on Teaching about Religious Art

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2007 - 06:50:34 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Teaching about religious art is part of your curriculum. I know that
understanding religions is also part of the social studies curriculum.
I just posted a number of resources for understanding religion to
Art4Peace list, but decided to post this to all lists.
Guidelines for Talking about Religious Art:
Years ago (back in late 1990's) there was a good article on this topic
in Teaching Tolerance magazine.

Religious and Sacred Art:

See more about Five Faiths Project - Ackland Art Museum.
"The Five Faiths Project is a multiyear initiative with the goal of
using the Ackland Art Museum's collection of religious art as a
starting point for helping people explore five of the world's great
religions Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam and Judaism."

See guidelines for Teaching about Religious Holidays:

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources

To unsubscribe go to