[teacherartexchange] One Sunday Morning

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2007 - 10:41:28 PST

Dear ArtsEdNet folks,

Thought I'd send an email to update you on the latest happenings in
Serbia. The snow that fell last weekend is now mostly melted (and
along with it the evil ice that made walking dangerous), due to some
wonderful two days in the 50's. It gets dark here now before 4:30 -
which I hate.
Thanksgiving weekend was pretty uneventful for me. We had off on
Thursday and Friday, but I didn't do anything special. Met a friend
for lunch yesterday, paid my cable internet bill (priorities!), had
my oboe lesson, did some drawing, etc. Actually, most of my time was
spent preparing for recruitment. My fourth year in Serbia, I will be
moving on after this year. So it's back to updating one's CV, writing
cover letters, researching schools, etc. I also added some pages to
my website specifically for recruitment. If you're so inclined, take
a look at it: http://homepage.mac.com/melissaenderle/recruitment/
enderle_introduction.html (or http://tinyurl.com/2denop) I welcome
feedback.

The main news is what happened this past Sunday. In a nutshell, the
heavy wet snow caused a series of unfortunate events - a tree fell on
an electrical wire which fell onto wet pavement, which then sent
massive surges of electricity into the school. We still don't know
the extent of the damage, but next week we will be having elementary
classes at the high school from 7:30-11:30, and high school classes
from 12-5. You can read more about it and see photos on my blog
http://melissaenderle.blogspot.com
The main thing was that no one got hurt. Had it happened 24 hours
later, that would have been a different story.

On another note,
Some of you might have seen a segment on the Today Show regarding
conditions at institutions for the disabled in Serbia. I watched the
video online after my parents told me about it. Even though just one
place (or even a few rooms) is too much to have such conditions, this
is not the way the typical institution looks like. The place filmed
is in southern Serbia, in a more rural area. The skeptical person I
am towards reporting, I wonder how the reporter and camera crew even
got such unfettered access. Surely if you had such conditions,
wouldn't you keep it away from foreign journalists?
Funding though is needed. I hope that instead of labeling Serbians
once more again as evil barbarians, the global community will respond
proactively and provide funding, physicians, etc.

 From Melissa in Serbia