Re: [teacherartexchange] Need Video/DVD Info

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (SMILLER_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2007 - 08:47:26 PST

I had a sub sit behind my desk all day for 3 days while the kids tagged all my tables and walls. We can ask for specific subs, and that is the only protection I know of---build up a relationship with a couple of subs that you hear through the grapevine are competent and ask for them when you're gone. If it's a quick deal you are at the mercy of the sub god. I always try to threaten my kids first, telling them if there is a problem with the sub you will have to do written work for a week.

>>> <Aartteachr@aol.com> 11/20/2007 1:31 pm >>>
Art Educators,
Do you have problems with Subs who don't follow your plans and have kids do
"whatever" they want in your classes.

I was out since last Friday to today (Tuesday)with Sciatica and have gotten
reports of horrific things going on in my high school classes. And...I left
detailed plans, a classroom management plan and discipline plan for the subs.
I even attached a seating plan with my attendance roll.

Acrylic brushes are ruined, a paint mess was left in the sink even when I
made a specific point that no classes were to paint but work on the assignment
in their sketchbooks. My kids know my "drill" with cleanup, etc. , yet
hood-winked the Sub. to even let them make hot chocolate for themselves. In one
class, 18 students sat at ONE table, painting, shoulder to shoulder, no less,
while the Sub hid behind my desk. I'm flamin' mad.

I decided that Subs will only do videos/DVDs where the kids could follow
them and draw or take a test on the content. I need good ones that are suitable
for high school. Maybe some cartooning ones.

I have "Behind the Scenes," some of Crizmacs but they are more suited for
Middles. Also, I need input and ideas of what you do for Subs at this grade
level. that hopefully, my sub will listen and carry through. I appreciate your
help. I'm a 16 year veteran and never had Subs refuse to do my plans.

Thanks,Arts Buddies.
Marsh in Orlando