RE: [teacherartexchange] kiln troubles

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2007 - 05:44:53 PST

Explain to them the huge stink comes when the wax or the newspaper ignites.
I would stay and guard the kiln the next time. You can re fire an
incomplete glaze firing. Basically the way it was vented probably is like
ours. If we are firing during the day, there is a burst of smoke between
300-700 degrees and we say "there goes the wax!!!" I go in the kiln room
and open the windows or doors to aid venting. Leave clear instructions id
you don't stay THAT YOU HAVE A TELEPHONE and if they are worried call you
at such a number..,DO NOT TURN IT OFF. Sounds to me like your got a
custodian like my old neighbor, who had a sensitive nose. Mind you the old
neighbor the shop teachers forge vented right back into my room in the
spring time and he didn't care, but make a few pots stuffed with toilet
paper to hold the shape and watch out!!!!
PS our fan shuts off when it has over heated... So sometimes we wonder just
how effective it is... Randy in Maine