Re: [teacherartexchange] kiln troubles

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2007 - 05:42:49 PST

If there is rust I'm guessing it's time to requisition for a new kiln. When
I started in my district I inherited an antique kiln that had rust on the
lid & rim, the wiring poked out, firebricks were missing in chunks, and I
could not even purchase parts for this kiln as the manufacturer was
non-existant. The day it shocked me I unplugged it & walked down to the
superintendant's office & told him I was discontinueing ceramics in my
program until the kiln was replace. He looked at the kiln & told me to write
up a requisition & I got a new kiln. Of course, when maintenance was
installing the new one he kept fretting over throwing the old one away
because it was still "a good kiln". I told him it was a death trap & he
needed to be very careful who he gave it to since it could result in a
lawsuit.
~Michal